How long is your spring cleaning list for the season? April is often a time when people look for ways to clean up their home, both inside and outside. These efforts can help to keep your home free of bugs, rodents, and other pests.
Too often, homeowners wait until an infestation has occurred before they take action to implement a pest control plan. But, why should you wait until the critters have moved inside? With a few proactive steps, you can reduce the likelihood that insects or rodents will move into your living space.
Spring cleaning is helpful because you can clear out the clutter that might attract pests to your property. For example, if you have tree branches, leaves, or other debris in the yard, then it creates the perfect location for nesting. Once the pests have moved into your yard, it is only a matter of time before they come into your home.
Pest Control To-Do List
What should you do to prevent pest infestations? Here are a few items that should be on your spring cleaning list:
- Remove Debris from the Yard: Get rid of anything that might bring in the pests, such as weeds, overgrown bushes, broken branches, piles of grass clippings, and more.
- Clean Out the Garage: Sports equipment and other items stored in the garage could attract pests. Put together an organization system to get these items off the ground and into storage containers when possible.
- Deep Clean the Kitchen: Crumbs and food residue can bring in the pests. Move the appliances and scrub all surfaces to prevent ants and cockroaches.
- Seal Your Home: Check the doors and window for cracks and holes. Use caulking or weather stripping to seal these areas and block entry points.
- Get Rid of Stagnant Water: If water is sitting stagnant, then it could attract mosquitos. Additionally, it could be a water source for all types of pests. Clean up the water and repair the source of the leak.
It can also be beneficial to have a pest control expert visit your home. During this visit, we can make recommendations about the types of treatments that can be used for prevention. For more information, call Richie’s Termite & Pest Service at (951) 233-7697